Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Rain

You can always tell the days you haven't been thinking enough. Today I had one of those days. I was short with my co-workers and unpleasant to be around. I have had to lock myself in my room to do a last assignment before finals next week. I am taking the GRE soon; I could use a good score. I need to work out my summer plans (any school? full time work?). I needed a guitar break and didn't quite get it. "Sweet, sweet sugar to me / please let me know when your kisses are free." This Watkins Family Hour show I am listening to is the closest I will have today.

I say I haven't been thinking enough because it was so hard to drag myself out of the sheer mundanity of today and post. Sure, I am in the middle of a little homework, but the real problem is that I haven't been mulling over things worthy of posting. And there I mean, things worth thinking; and I haven't been doing things worth doing. This whole day is gone.

So it rained today. It was pretty nice most of the day, but this afternoon came the pounding drops. I was out in them on my way home, after I found out some bad news about work I'd done for school. I barely noticed the drops and the road; I went through the motions of commuting behind the car in front of me, somewhat dangerously now that I think about it. But I was angry and frustrated, trapped inside four walls of emotions; after I got out of the car I still felt like I was traveling around in my own personal bubble.

I barely noticed the rain, nothing to wax poetic about. If there was a rainbow, I wouldn't have known. "What you gonna spend your free life on?"

Pretty maudlin, huh? Sorry. As a reward for reading this far, here is a random page from The Tick comic:

Oedipus: ... And that's how I got to where I am today.
Tick: (reading) It says here that ninjas can read people's minds! Gad! I never knew they could do so much! I thought they just hung around airports and got sucked up into jet engines.
Oedipus: (rummages through toy chest) Yeah well... now I have to get the thorn and bring it back to Shing... that is if he's still alive. It's in here somewhere...
Tick: Yeah, what about this thorn thing? Does it have any secret super powers?
Oedipus: Shing thinks so... Here it is! (holds up thorn) It's supposed to hold the souls of all true ninja. The very essence of their beings.
Tick: It looks like a giant piece of candy corn.
Oedipus: They're still out there. What are they waiting for?

Well, Shakespeare it ain't. But it has its own curative properties.

No comments: