Saturday, April 30, 2005

Back to life...

Back to reality.

I'm looking forward to an interesting summer. I have been reading these old military science fiction books, the Sten series by Cole and Bunch. There are 8 and for some reason, I can never get enough of these stories. I don't want to learn from them, I'm not emotionally challenged by them. I've done the whole series at least five times.

The reason I bring this up is that after this Wednesday, I will have major free time to deal with. I've had a sixty hour schedule for about a year, working and completing requirements for grad school. Now I am entering a lull before the storm begins, before I take 15 hours of computer science every semester. What should I do with the next three months of reading time? I have Shakespeare to read through still (although I was surprised to find about a year ago that I had read ten or so of his plays already), but the only edition I have lacks any annotation whatsoever. I have been tempted to splurge on the Oxford Shakespeare, but I have to justify all these purchases.

I have Essentials of New Testament Greek on the shelf, but I am sort of languaged out after a year of Chinese. I can't believe I just studied a language for 8 months and only know 500 words, but Chinese is like that. Next to it is New Testament History, which I started once but bogged down in. I have had an infatuation with history lately, though, thinking that it is going to unlock the doorway to a career in the wonderful world of novel writing; a career, needless to say, which will make me rich and famous.

Dante, Stephen King (I still have a lot of his books left to read! an adult discovery for me), Shusaku Endo, Graham Greene, Neil Gaiman, Connie Willis, Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, and Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and many more...

Back to unreality.

No comments: