Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Drowned

For the record, I am now trying to learn the following computer technologies this summer: TCP/IP network programming; Java, including AWT and Swing GUIs; regular expressions; theory of computation/computability; Scheme.

What this has done is create a heavy library of computer books for me to carry around. I will have some great accomplishments by the time I'm done, like a Bering Sea fishing fleet simulator using real GPS data, several working network clients and servers, real skill with computer proofs and constructing and manipulating language parsers (in a very generic way), and learning to create programs that create other programs.

First, I have to read about 3000 pages of stuff.

In addition, I just bought the first Jeeves and Wooster stories by P.G. Wodehouse (I have never read anything by him, but I enjoyed the PBS series, and these are cracking good), the complete short stories of William Carlos Williams, and a Hugo award winner by one of my favorite authors: Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold. I also have The DaVinci Code, which my father-in-law lent me some months back, which I haven't finished yet (it got lent to someone else in the meantime), and The Cost of Discipleship, which I've been reading in little bites. And finally, Sarah and I have been reading Lemony Snicket III.

So if you don't hear from me, I drowned in paper.

No comments: