Thursday, August 03, 2006

Quick notes

I've been busy with my research job. Our steganography algorithm is now at least a little better than the best thing we've found. I am starting to feel a little responsible; after all, if this kind of technique is successful, the NSA won't know we're sending encrypted messages in our JPEGs anymore. And God knows, with the war on terror and all, the government needs to be reading my private email.

I can safely recommend The One Percent Doctrine from the first 100 pages alone. The attitudes our government took toward our rights and privacy, justified as necessary to prevent another 9/11, are appalling. Reminds me of that guy in one of the Kerry-Bush debates, who asked President Bush about the PATRIOT Act:

"With expansions to the Patriot and Patriot Act II, my question to you is, why are my rights being watered down and my citizens' around me? And what are the specific justifications for these reforms?"

President Bush responded: "I appreciate that. I really don't think your rights are being watered down. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't support it if I thought that. Every action being taken against terrorists requires court order, requires scrutiny."

When you read The One Percent Doctrine, you will find out what a bald-faced lie that was. Our President has lied over and over again about just these kinds of accountability issues. Why is he still in office?

I got to play some poker with my brother-in-law Brian this weekend. We had a good time. Next time a tournament rolls around at USU, I think I'll enter, just for fun.

No comments: