Monday, April 24, 2006

Family

Sarah asked me the other day why I don't blog about her and Alexander here. I can think of all kinds of rationalizations, but I guess what's at the heart of it is that it doesn't occur to me to be Insightful, Informative, Interesting, or +5 Funny about my family.

In a way, this blog is like an unending series of Slashdot comments on self-selected topics [Slashdot is a large, large community tech news site]. There are no moderators and I say whatever's in my head. I don't need to do first posts because I always get the first post. But also like Slashdot, if I don't have something cool to say, I don't say anything at all.

I don't know if I need a sort of narrative distance from my family to catch something I am observing and twist it; that's what I'd usually do on Slashdot. I've also kept some privacy about my family on here. I'd definitely stay private on Slashdot, where no one cares much about my family, except in the sense of "Everyman's insights about fatherhood" comments.

I'll continue thinking about this.

No comments: